A Successful, Insightful Attorney On Your Side
After almost 35 years of practice in the private and public sectors, I have opened my own practice, The Law Office of Frank Hammond LLC, in Portland, Oregon. This practice builds on my vast experience in the areas of land use, solid and hazardous waste industries, municipal and county law, and litigation.
My Background And Experience
I was awarded my Doctor of Law, magna cum laude, from Cornell Law School in 1985. While in law school, I won prizes in evidence and federal courts and was admitted to the Order of the Coif, a distinction reserved for law students who have attained a high grade of scholarship. I was an articles editor for the Cornell Law Review and published a note in that law review concerning the operation of Section 2-607(3)(a) of the Uniform Commercial Code.
After law school, I was admitted to the bar and am now admitted to practice before all the state courts and agencies of the state of Oregon as well as federal courts up to the United States Supreme Court. Prior to working as county counsel and in my own private practice, I worked for several well-known law firms, practicing land use, environmental and natural resources law and litigation.
For more information about my background, please click the link below:
Legal Areas In Which I Practice
- Land use: I also have experience in court proceedings and appeals concerning zoning and land use, impact fees, exactions, takings claims, system development charges and the procedures for land use decisions. I worked closely with the county, holding primary attorney positions for issues regarding land use and public contracting.
- Environmental and natural resources law: I represent clients with regard to federal and state environmental laws affecting land use, including those concerning wetlands, solid and hazardous waste, the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), underground storage tanks, hazardous substances and spills.
- I have special familiarity with difficult projects, having sited several landfills and transfer stations. I have represented land use clients on numerous occasions before the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals and the Oregon Court of Appeals.
- I have also represented clients concerning subdivisions and planned unit developments, exceptions to the statewide planning goals and zone and comprehensive plan amendments.
- I regularly advise clients regarding compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws, including wetland regulations and NEPA.
- Municipal law: I regularly represent public and private entities with municipal law issues. For example, I have represented Jackson County, the city of Tigard, Clackamas River Water, and Clackamas Water Environment Services. I have extensive experience with public contracts, public records and meetings, and franchising.
- Local government: I know and understand local governments from both the public and private sides. As county counsel for Jackson County, Oregon, I oversaw the county’s in-house legal department. I was responsible for managing the department’s budget and personnel. In addition, I was responsible for overseeing all the county’s legal affairs, including administration of the county’s litigation.